A.I. Opera: It Started as just fun and ended up as real – and really nice
Dealing with very short audio clips like these ones, forced me to keep things focused and tight, and did not leave much room for getting fancy. The parameters impose their own discipline in the creative process.
In the lyrical video of A.I. Opera, you can see, over the blobs, and in the images above, the audio icons that appear when you activate them. There was no way to get rid of those, other than editing the graphics afterwards. But at least it proves that the melody that you hear, in fact the entire song, and all the songs on this album, are unique – in the proper meaning of the word – and created by my own fair hands at a specific, never-to-be-repeated moment in time.
You can rewrite, rearrange and remix normal software instrument tracks (MIDIs) in Logic, so that they are almost unrecognizable from the original, but you can’t do that to these audio tracks. What you’ve got is what you’ve got.
The melody of “A.I. Opera” (A.I. – Artificial Intelligence) was made on the Blob Opera platform. It was interesting to ultimately create something beautiful-sounding from a few seconds of machine-like notes which are actually quite distorted because the sounds depend on how smoothly you control the graphic interface. To the basic series of notes that was converted into an audio file, I added:
- A piano score to establish and reinforce the simple melody that I generated on the platform;
- Vocalizing for backing singers – using a Classical Ensemble – to fill up the gaps in the Blob Opera parts;
- A piano counterpoint score;
- A guitar bass-line matched with a Delta Blues electric guitar track;
- To get an orchestral sound; violins, cellos, and French Horns